All for Life
Causes and management of Fibromyalgia
Article by Dr Jai Kant Mishra (Consultant Internal Medicine)
What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes musculoskeletal pain, tenderness and stiffness in different parts of the body, as well as sleep disturbances and fatigue. People with Fibromyalgia may experience painful tender points, deep muscle pain, chronic headaches, unending back pain, or neck pain
Causes of Fibrolyalgia:
- Pain in the muscles and bones (musculoskeletal pain)
- Areas of tenderness
- General fatigue
- Sleep and cognitive disturbances
Fibromyalgia varies from patient to patient.
Try some of the following tips which will help you manage fibromyalgia
Tips to manage Fibromyalgia
- Fibromyalgia is a real problem, benign, not in your head
- Learn about Fibromyalgia, understanding you condition can help reduce your fears and anxiety
- Maintain a log of activities, may help to identify particular triggers
- Do meditation, breathing exercise, avoid ot limit exposure to stressful situations.
- Sleep adequately
- Do regular exercise like walking, jogging, biking, swimming, water aerobics
- Find a support group in your area or an online forum, taking about experience with other people who understand may help
- Pick up the best time of the day for anything needing concentration
- Applying heat with hot water bottle or having a hot water bath or shower can help pain and improve stiffness
- Try the treatment your doctor offers and discuss which ones are helpful.
For further information, consult your doctor!